The role of Charities Services
Charities Services, Ngā Ratonga Kaupapa Atawhai, is part of the Department of Internal Affairs, Te Tari Taiwhenua, and administers the Charities Act 2005. We strive to be a modern, responsive, risk-based regulator focused on promoting public trust and confidence in the charitable sector and encouraging the effective use of charitable resources.
Our vision is that our work contributes to a well-governed, transparent and thriving charitable sector with strong public support. We do this by registering and monitoring charities and processing annual returns. We also encourage good governance and management practices by providing educational support, advice and materials.
Charities Services maintains the Charities Register, which contains information about the approximately 27,000 registered charities. The Charities Register is the public record of registered charities that operate under the rules of the Charities Act 2005.
Charities Services works closely with the Department of Internal Affairs’ nationwide team of Community Operations Advisors and staff from other government agencies, such as Inland Revenue and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. We also provide advice to Government and other stakeholders in the wider not-for-profit sector. In addition, we publish relevant data and research to help build understanding, trust and confidence in the charitable sector.
An independent Charities Registration Board, Te Rātā Atawhai, meets regularly to apply the law and make decisions regarding the charitable status of organisations.
- 2020/2021 Charities Services Regulatory System [PDF, 113 KB]
- Charities Services Compliance Approach [PDF, 380 KB] (Published 07/01/2019)
Annual Reviews and Yearly Reviews
- 2021/2022 Annual Review [PDF, 11 MB]
- 2020/2021 Annual Review [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- 2019/2020 Annual Review [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- 2018/2019 Annual Review [PDF, 7.8 MB]
- 2017/2018 Annual Review [PDF, 4.9 MB]
- 2016/2017 Our year in numbers [PDF, 244 KB]
- 2015/2016 Our year in numbers [PDF, 210 KB]
Charities Services Information Sheet
- Charities Services Information Sheet (English) [PDF, 865 KB]
- Charities Services Information Sheet (Māori) [PDF, 310 KB]
- Charities Services Information Sheet (Cook Island Māori) [PDF, 310 KB]
- Charities Services Information Sheet (Samoan) [PDF, 309 KB]
- Charities Services Information Sheet (Tongan) [PDF, 312 KB]
- Charities Services Information Sheet (Fijian) [PDF, 311 KB]