Webinars/Ngā wānanga ā-ipurangi
On this page you'll find information on Charities Services upcoming webinars. You can also find recordings of our previous webinars further below.
Future webinars will be posted on this page.
FREE webinar series for charities and not-for-profits who carry out some of their purposes overseas
Published 23 August 2019
If your charity or not-for-profit carries out some of its purposes overseas, or if you are interested in the following topics, you are invited to attend a series of free webinars from August to October 2019.
The webinars will be delivered by officials from several government agencies including Inland Revenue, the Ministry of Justice and Charities Services, a part of the Department of Internal Affairs. The purpose of the webinars is to help you understand some of the rules and obligations that may apply to your charity or not-for-profit organisation. The webinars will cover tax rules for donee organisations and charities, protecting your organisation from terrorism financing and ways to detect and prevent fraud in your not-for-profit.
Webinar 1: Know your tax obligations
Tuesday 27 August 2019, 12.00pm-1.00pm
This webinar has now taken place. If you wish to view the webinar you can watch it here.
Webinar 2: Protecting your organisation from terrorism financing
Thursday 26 September 2019, 12.00pm-1.00pm
Police and the Ministry of Justice will walk you through what terrorism financing is and how organisations like yours can unwittingly be taken advantage of to fund terrorism.
We will cover:
- What terrorism financing is
- What our international obligations are and why it matters to New Zealand
- How not-for-profits can be abused to raise and move funds for terrorist purposes, especially overseas terrorism
- How to stop terrorism financing, what to watch for and how doing this can actually help your organisation.
There will be opportunities to ask questions during the webinar and we will point you towards contacts who can help you when you need it.
Webinar 3: How to detect and prevent fraud
Thursday 24 October 2019, 12.00pm-1.00pm
Charities Services will walk you through how to detect and prevent fraud in your charity or not-for-profit organisation.
We will cover:
- What fraud is
- What your responsibilities as a member of a board or committee of a charity are
- How to detect fraud in your organisation
- How to prevent fraud in in your organisation
- What you should do if you identify fraud in your organisation
- We will also discuss examples of fraud that have resulted in significant losses to the charitable sector.
There will be opportunities to ask questions during the webinar.
Click below to view the information and recordings of our past webinars.